Monday, March 5, 2012

Long time no see

So the school is going through a lot right now. Apparently the San Francisco campus is going to get shut down, but that might just be rumors. There’s a lawsuit you might already know about in which the school is getting sued for telling students they will become chefs after they graduate when a lot of them are not. No school provides job security so I don’t get it. You’ve got to work for it and I’m trying my best. I’ve recently started talking to my chef about stuff outside of the classroom, not too far off topic, mostly stuff about what happens next. I want information from him and to me he seems honest. He’s given me much more confidence in going out into the world. I usually ask my career services advisor these types of questions but even though she’s done the same job for 10 years and probably has plenty of experience I still feel more comfortable with taking advice from my chef. I also am hoping that by the end of the class I might be able to get a letter of recommendation from him. This weekend I checked out some bakeries so that maybe I might find one I’m interested in. I found one that I am extremely interested in. I also asked my chef for recommendations and he told me about another. I’m going to print out some resumes and try and call to see when I might be able to come in and talk to a chef. Hopefully I could donate a bit of my time and they will let me stage around the kitchen for a day. Here’s a Wikipedia page for what staging is because I never knew until recently (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stage_(cooking)). I’m a little upset my school hasn’t provided that many extracurricular events but that should hopefully make up for it. Hopefully these kitchens will take me in for a day or two and in the best case scenario I get to extern there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment